Know the Basics
Know how to minimize your risk.
At Royal Credit Union, we're dead serious about protecting the non-public information we have gathered from you, our Member. We do many things to protect our Members information both technically and through controls within our operation.
Though Royal is committed to protecting your information, there are other ways for your information to get in the wrong hands. We have the appropriate controls in place to protect your private information from being leaked from us, but that is only half the battle when it comes to Identity Theft.
You need to do a number of things to help protect yourself from having your personal information put in the wrong hands. Below are some of the steps Members should follow to help protect themselves:
- Mail bill payments at the Post Office or secure postal station
- Don't leave mail in your mailbox any longer than necessary
- Be aware of surroundings when you use credit/debit card
- Don't give personal information over phone or electronically
- Shred your junk mail
- Look at statements for unauthorized transactions
- Review your credit report at least annually
- Know the companies you do business with
- Be skeptical about unsolicited contacts
- Only keep what you need in your wallet
Should you become a victim, we're here to assist you in the proper steps necessary to minimize the damage.
We typically hold Shred days in the spring and fall each year, stay tuned to our events page for dates, times, and locations.
Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in America. The Federal Trade Commission estimates that as many as 9 million Americans have their identities stolen each year. In fact, you or someone you know may have experienced some form of identity theft. Take advantage of this opportunity to properly destroy your personal information to protect yourself against identity theft.